DVHS introduces new course: women’s literature

Starting+from+this+year%2C+Womens+Literature+is+being+offered+as+a+new+English+class+for+seniors.+
Debby Hudson
Starting from this year, Women’s Literature is being offered as a new English class for seniors.

Starting from the 24-25 school year, Dougherty Valley High School will offer Women’s Literature as a new English course towards seniors, taught by Ms. Dixit and Ms. Faria.
The class is already offered as a course by San Ramon Valley and Monte Vista High School, bringing something new to the table. 

The course is divided thematically, and it covers many topics, such as “In Gender on Voices”, which highlights the obstacles women have faced historically when writing literature, and “Motherhood and Maternity”, which elaborates on how books impact the role of motherhood in society. In the second semester, the course highlights the significance of race in the writing field.

This new course aims to illuminate women’s writing and the contributions of women to literature. It highlights the impact of literature on feminism, and to do this it utilizes many different forms, such as poetry. “What it means to be a woman, it’s a really complicated question” Ms. Dixit said. This course aims to answer those questions and many more.

Ms. Faria added, “I hope people will be thrilled with this new course, to be able to dig deep into a topic like this”.  Women’ Literature is aimed towards all students. It does not just discuss women, it also explores the theme of men in women’s lives, so just because it’s labeled as Women’s Literature shouldn’t deter men from taking it as well.