‘Wonka’: a hidden gem that defies expectations

“Wonka” Movie poster featuring star actor Timothee Chalamet as Wonka. // Rotten Tomatoes

Based on the renowned tale of “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,”  Willy Wonka takes the stage in his own film: “Wonka.” Hitting theaters on Dec. 15, 2023, “Wonka” shocked many viewers, as some initially believed that it’d be underwhelming and a mere money grab.

Though the movie lacked some of the magic and nostalgia that would take viewers back to their childhoods, it is clear that “Wonka” is a worthy production in its own right. The storytelling, casting and effort dedicated to the movie made it a production worthy of succeeding “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.”

“Wonka’’ provides an origin story for “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”’s most eccentric character, Willy Wonka, illuminating how the chocolatier became so famous. The story begins with its titular character, played by Timothée Chalamet, as he ventures to a new city to grow his name in the chocolate industry. However, upon arriving, he possesses only his tools and is forced into a labor contract in exchange for a place to stay. There, he meets and befriends a few others who share his circumstances, and they help him expand his chocolate business.

In the process, they face competition from the chocolate cartel, which has been involved in illegal activities such as murdering their competition and bribing officials to work with them. Through Wonka’s brilliance and courage, he leads his friends to execute a plan to obtain retribution, with the film concluding sweetly as Wonka opens his own store, his friends escape their labor contracts and the chocolate cartel leaders are put behind bars.

A visual sensation, “Wonka” stuns viewers with gorgeous settings. It’s evident that the production team didn’t cut any corners, as each environment has its own unique elements, and nothing is recycled or reused. Additionally, the movie oscillates between a profound story of sacrifice and growth and a comedic musical. At times, the film is deeply heartfelt as Wonka shares his story of how his mother’s death influenced his desire to become a chocolate maker. But at others, it’s upbeat, joyful and full of song and dance, with characters like the oompa loompa providing comedic relief.

Furthermore, the intricate relationship between Wonka and Noodle (Calah Lane), an orphan who’s wished for a parental figure all her life, unfolds as Wonka enters her life, filling that void.

Furthermore, the intricate relationship between Wonka and Noodle (Calah Lane), an orphan who’s wished for a parental figure all her life, unfolds as Wonka enters her life, filling that void. The characters complement each other perfectly: wherever Wonka is seen to have deficiencies, Noodle excels. For example, throughout the story, it’s evident that Wonka is illiterate, while Noodle has a love for reading. The contrast between the two is emphasized when comparing the upbringings of the characters, as Noodle was raised by a cranky hotel manager who used her for manual labor, while Wonka was raised by a loving, caring mother. Their amplified differences create a charming dynamic between the characters as they stand side-by-side, two halves of a whole.

As good as the movie was, it did have shortcomings. At some points, the movie was unable to replicate the magic of its predecessor, especially when Charlie opened his chocolate bar to find the golden ticket; it simply didn’t have the same anticipation that “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” excelled in. The movie failed to make me relive my childhood, falling just short of being an excellent prequel.

While it lacked the elusive factor that made its predecessor a childhood success, “Wonka” stands as a fine addition to the legacy of its franchise, offering a fresh look into the iconic character’s journey and the world of cinematic storytelling. Especially when taking into account the poor production of other major titles in recent months, “Wonka” is an great film and is definitely worth your time.