DVHS security cameras bring new measures of student and community safety

SRVUSD adds 24 hours surveillance cameras across the DVHS campus.
Ella Shen

As a part of SRVUSD’s Measure D Facilities Bond project, schools across the district were recently funded for the installment of security cameras, with Dougherty Valley High School receiving over 180 newly upgraded cameras. This decision for improved safety protocols had been in the making for three years before it was finally imposed, making relatively significant changes to monitoring and investigating incidents in order to facilitate student protection.

Working closely with the school district, DVHS utilizes these cameras for campus supervision in order to further investigate minor or major incidents that may occur on campus. 

“The goal of cameras is to help us identify when there’s an issue or when we need to look into something [and] we can get a good picture or a timestamp of what [may have taken] place,” DVHS Principal Evan Powell said. “We have them now to help get evidence but also so our community can see because there are signs posted [that] they do operate 24/7 and we will know if something is going on.” 

However, contrary to popular belief, the school does not monitor the cameras at every moment of the day, despite the cameras running 24/7. Rather, administrators turn to the cameras for support when needed.

Contrary to popular belief, the school does not monitor the cameras at every moment of the day, despite the cameras running 24/7.

“We’re not sitting there watching the cameras all day long. It’s when something comes up we need to look into it,” Powell explained. 

Although the installment of cameras have been discussed for the last couple of years, there has been a need for increased security since the past year. During the 2022-23 school year, DVHS experienced three separate shooting threats within three months, sparking concern for student safety at school. While the cameras are visible for students to see, they won’t necessarily prevent or eliminate issues such as shooting threats. Assistant Principal Lauren Falkner further explains this point.

“[The cameras will] enable us to provide support or figure out who the individual is, [intervene], and get them the support they need,” Falkner described. “Maybe they’ll think twice, but if anything, I don’t see cameras being that kind of [a] deterrent.”

Despite this factor, so far into the 2023-24 school year, the security cameras have proven to be effective, already solving two incidents that have occurred either on or surrounding the DVHS campus. However, due to privacy concerns, these incidents cannot be disclosed. 

As the cameras document high quality images of students throughout the school day, their violation of privacy comes into question. Principal Powell and Assistant Principal Faulkner have reported that the students’ and parents’ reactions toward the installations of these cameras have been positive, and none have come forward with these complaints.

Irrespective of the security cameras being a beneficial addition to the school, students have mixed thoughts about them

Irrespective of the security cameras being a beneficial addition to the school, students have mixed thoughts about them.

“I thought [the security cameras] were overkill. They’re everywhere,” junior Ananya Suragimath said. “It’s good [that they’re there] because it’s more protected and safe on campus but I thought it was kind of unnecessary.”

Senior Aarushi Kodipyaka shares her similar views on the cameras at school. “I was surprised [by the cameras]. I think [they] could have made them a little [less] conspicuous instead of glaringly obvious[ly] in your face,” Kodipyaka adds.

Despite these mixed feelings, Mr. Powell assures that these cameras shouldn’t be a concern if the students behave.

“There should be nothing to worry about, if anything. It’s used to help keep students safe and for us to learn how we can better our community with learning aspects of communication,” Powell advised.