Srivar Kalisetti feeds over a thousand meals to underprivileged people across the globe

Srivar Kalisetti  packages meals in preparation for distribution.
Suhani Kashyap
Srivar Kalisetti packages meals in preparation for distribution.

DVHS Junior Srivar Kalisetti began his non-profit, The Charity Kitchen, in 2020 to serve freshly cooked, healthy meals to nearby unhoused populations. Since then, it has transformed to a global 501(c)(3) certified nonprofit  organization, serving meals not only in the Bay Area, but across India, Kenya, Malaysia, New York, Southern California, and more to come. 

Kalisetti’s passion for feeding the underprivileged was sparked by the increase in houselessness across the Bay Area. “When I go to visit places like Oakland or San Francisco, the people that I see on the streets, it’s just, I want to do something good for them,” he says, “I feel like it‘s our privilege and our duty to help these people who are less fortunate.”

“I feel like it’s our privilege and our duty to help these people who are less fortunate.”

His proudest moment to date was getting The Charity Kitchen 501(c)(3) certified as a nonprofit. As a ninth grader sorting through paperwork and filings all by himself, attaining the certification proved to be a challenge. Yet, it was all worth it once he received the certification. “It felt like I could take my organization to a much higher level. It’s what inspired me to keep going and keep delivering meals and start delivering around the world,” Kalisetti said, “Getting my organization certified has really helped me get access to grants and make my nonprofit like an official thing and not like other projects.” Kalisetti added.  With his certification, Kalisetti has been able to apply for and receive grants from corporations such as Trader Joe’s and Costco.

These grants enabled him to deliver a total of 500 meals by June 2023. The milestone sparked a desire to donate even more, leading Kalisetti to start the “Double-It” campaign. He celebrated his nonprofit’s success by doubling the total number of donations which had been made since the creation of The Charity Kitchen. Through this campaign, he doubled his 500 meals to 1000 over the month of June. “It took a lot of planning, like getting volunteers to volunteer but in the end I managed to do it,” he says. 

While Kalisetti enjoys helping out the local Bay Area, his reach has expanded globally through the help of volunteers in other countries. For example, his work in Kenya was made possible through collaboration with humanitarian organization The Face Foundation. “Currently we’re working out some details so they can make and deliver meals and hand them out to the slums of Kenya,” he says, “And like, it’s kind of cool to me because like I read about [these slums] in the English 10 book Born A Crime and it’s kind of cool that now I’m helping them.”

Kalisetti hopes to continue The Charity Kitchen beyond high school. While he plans to hand down the primary authority of the organization to a younger high school student in the future, he still wants to remain involved and help deliver meals throughout college. 

The Charity Kitchen currently has about 35 volunteers globally. If you want to volunteer with or donate to The Charity Kitchen, visit thecharitykitchen.org for more information.