RIIZE rises to fame with their debut album “Get a Guitar”

SM Entertainment
RIIZE’s highly-anticipated debut marks SM’s first boy group since 2016.

The highly anticipated K-pop boy group RIIZE impressed fans with the release of their two-track debut album, “Get a Guitar”, on Sept. 4, 2023.

The band gained a lot of attention prior to their debut, due to two previous members from the bestselling K-pop group, NCT, joining the lineup. Furthermore, because this is SM Entertainment’s first boy group in seven years, fans had high hopes for the band.

With all this anticipation, RIIZE successfully made their way to the top of music charts even before their debut. “Get a Guitar” received over a million preorder sales, becoming the most preordered debut album of any SM artist. They also sold over 178,000 copies the first day of release, placing second on Korea’s Hanteo music chart for daily physical album count.

Already building a name for themselves, RIIZE’s music reflects the meaning of their group name, which stands for rise and realize. “We want to grow and realize our dreams with the members and fans,” RIIZE member Park Wonbin explained during their debut media showcase.

The group teased a theme revolving around their determination to achieve their goals through the pre-release track, “Memories”, on Aug. 21. The song begins with SM’s signature cheer, setting up the song for a sense of youthfulness and nostalgia. The background instrumentals provide a steady drum beat, and electronic sounds create a build-up for the chorus. As they transition from the pre-chorus to the chorus, singing “we RIIZE,” their voices rise to a higher pitch to emphasize their enthusiasm and excitement in fulfilling their dreams with each other as stars. In the chorus, the drums increase in rhythm as the members sing, “hold tight and dream on / it’s what I love the most / you with me, our memories.” These lyrics capture RIIZE’s dream to make meaningful memories with their fans as they rise to the top of the music industry.

These lyrics capture RIIZE’s dream to make meaningful memories with their fans as they rise to the top of the music industry.

The second track “Get a Guitar” also features this playful aura, as it solely focuses on the background guitar chords and vocals. As one of the members, Jung Sungchan, said in an interview with VIDEOMUG, “‘Get a Guitar’ is an emotional pop song with attractive funky guitar sounds. It means that we should gather together with a dream, hold guitars and make our dreams come true.”

Using a guitar to symbolize their shared passion for music, RIIZE strategically uses distinguishable guitar strums and their distinct voices to weave together a refreshing, catchy beat. Their vocal abilities are highlighted through the members’ voices harmonizing with each other in the chorus and bridge of the song. In the chorus they sing, “I love it when our eyes meet / I love it when I dance with you,” revealing their love for performing on stage in front of their fans. They continue singing, “drawing sunshine in the rhythm / full of dreams in my heart,” describing their hopes to make their ambitions come true.

Through their debut album, “Get a Guitar,” RIIZE perfectly encapsulates the fiery passion of a rookie group living out their dreams as they grow and rise to become a recognized K-pop group.
Keep a look out for RIIZE as they journey their way to the top of global music charts.

Listen to “Get a Guitar” and “Memories” now on Spotify.