Swim tryouts glide by smoothly after tense coach issues are resolved

In+the+midst+of+issues+with+coaches%2C+swim+tryouts+continue.+

Neetra Chakraborty

In the midst of issues with coaches, swim tryouts continue.

Anxious and excited, DVHS students dove into the pool on Feb. 6, kicking off the swim season with a splash. This was the start of the three-day tryouts, during which swimmers would be tested on their technique, endurance and speed. 

Although the tryouts proceeded exactly as scheduled, tensions were high; just a few days prior, the swim team’s lack of a coach posed an issue that could have caused the 2023 swim season to be canceled. 

The previous swim season was coached by coach Ethan Schnell, coach Colleen Mayes and coach Cyndi Oji-Marchese. After the 2022 swim season, Schnell moved away from San Ramon and resigned from his position as head coach. 

This left the responsibility of coaching to Mayes and Oji-Marchese, neither of whom wanted to take on the responsibility of being the head coach. Both were head coaches of water polo teams, with Oji-Marchese at DVHS and Mayes at Monte Vista High. They felt that coaching the swim team at DVHS would cause them excess stress, due to the extra responsibility.

We were hesitant to take on the head coach mantle because it’s a lot of work and we wanted to make sure it was going to be a smooth season for people, when we didn’t have any other options.

“We were hesitant to take on the head coach mantle because it’s a lot of work and we wanted to make sure it was going to be a smooth season for people, when we didn’t have any other options,” Oji-Marchese said. 

The responsibilities of a head coach involve overseeing transportation, fundraisers, events and registration. The swim team in particular needs to schedule pool times, as the pool in the Aquatic Center does not belong to the school, unlike other facilities such  as the baseball and football fields.

For a period of time, the swim team was thrown into turmoil. Without a definitive head coach, students were uncertain about joining the team. 

“If you don’t have a coach, you can’t have a team, right?” Oji-Marchese said. 

Ahana Mukherjee is a sophomore who attended the swim interest meet. A head coach had not been found during this time, so the interest meeting proceeded without a definitive coach. 

Fortunately, a solution to the situation was found in time. This year, coaches Oji-Marchese and Mayes will be co-head coaches of the swim team, a strategy that would allow them to take on lighter work loads. Assisting them will be Olivia Maynez, a history teacher at DVHS. 

Coaches and students alike were grateful that a solution had been found.

“I was kind of relieved, but kind of scared, since I was ready to not do [swim] tryouts at all,” Ahana Mukherjee said. She attended the swim interest meeting and tryouts. 

Oji-Marchese looks forward to seeing old and new faces alike this season. She anticipates an eventful season this year. 

“I love the swimmers, their families, I like the team events that we have, the competitions. I know that people are going to be really competitive this year,” she said. 

Aside from a few bumps in the road, the swim 2023 is in full swing, and an exciting season is ensured.