COVID-19 cases emerge in SRVUSD schools amid in-person learning

Mahika Arya

Students return to campus for in-person learning

As of Friday, Aug. 13, San Ramon Valley Unified District (SRVUSD) reported a total of seven COVID cases within four schools, with three positive cases from Vista Grande Elementary School, two cases from San Ramon Valley High School, and one case from both California High School and Los Cerros Middle School, respectively.

After 12 months of virtual learning, schools under SRVUSD reopened for in-person instruction on Tuesday, August 10th. 

Upon returning to school, the district is taking extra precautions, aligning with the recommended CDC protocols. They have enforced indoor mask mandates across campuses and installed new air ventilators to reduce recirculation. SRVUSD also orders schools to maximize physical distance during mealtimes.

Students and staff infected with COVID-19 are required to stay home for a minimum of 10 days and can return after symptoms cease. 

Those found in close contact with the infectee can attend school if asymptomatic. However, if they are unvaccinated, they must follow a modified 10-day quarantine, forgoing any extracurricular activity and submitting at least two COVID tests within the time period. 

“The good news is many of our students who were considered close contacts are still at school,” Superintendent Dr. Malloy stated. 

Although SRVUSD has found cases within the district, schools remain open, allowing students to continue in-person instruction. 

Aug. 20 update

As of Aug. 20, there are a total of 25 positive cases found across four high schools within the district. San Ramon Valley (SRV) leads with 15 cases; California High (CHS) reports a total of five, Monte Vista (MV) has four, and Dougherty Valley (DV) gets their first case.

See the number of COVID cases in primary and intermediate schools by visiting the SRVUSD COVID-19 case dashboard.