SRVUSD resumes hybrid learning for primary students

Ryan J. Degan

SRVUSD primary students return to school for hybrid learning.

On Feb. 17, third through fifth graders, as well as students in special day classes (SDC) in the San Ramon Valley Unified School District (SRVUSD) are set to resume in-person hybrid learning, joining students in preschool through second grade who started hybrid learning on Feb. 10.

Secondary students will remain in remote learning as Contra Costa County struggles to move into the Red Tier, which requires an average of seven cases a day per 100,000 residents for five consecutive days. SRVUSD is the first public school district in the Tri-Valley to reopen campus to a large number of students

Parents received the option to either send their children back to school through hybrid learning or continue remote learning. It is estimated that in a few days, around 10,000 TK-5th grade students will be schooled through in-person hybrid learning. This aligns with approximately one third of  students and families who chose to return to in-person instruction, according to SRVUSD Superintendent John Malloy. 

District representative Sarah Lopez said the district met its in-person hybrid learning requirements on Tuesday, Feb. 9th. They immediately emailed SRVUSD families to announce that in-person learning will resume the next morning, declaring, “The district is ready to go.”

The school district was only allowed to resume in-person hybrid learning after completing the  COVID-19 Safety Plan and meeting a certain case threshold in Contra Costa County.

In-person learning for SRVUSD secondary students will resume once Contra Costa county reaches the red tier. 

Sources:

https://www.danvillesanramon.com/news/2021/02/10/young-srvusd-students-return-to-campus

4133805982361517753.pdf

https://eastcountytoday.net/san-ramon-valley-unified-school-district-announces-hybrid-reopening-schedule/