Women’s Tennis Team maintains success

Junior+Matilda+Lin+and+senior+captain+Sahithi+Gade+play+at+match+on+Sept.+19.+
Sahithi Gade
Junior Matilda Lin and senior captain Sahithi Gade play at match on Sept. 19.

With the first two weeks of competition season behind them, the womens tennis team has started the season strong by winning the season-opener against Granada High School on Sept. 14 with a score of 6-3. After winning first place in NCS last year, the team plans to continue with their training and carry their past success forward.

With practice Monday to Thursday for around two hours each day, dedication to the sport is a necessity. Each player comes out to train despite the warm weather that has been hitting San Ramon recently.

While they prepare, a big factor of success is the coach herself. Erin Callahan has been the head coach for two years now. With nothing but positive feedback from the students who learn from her, her leadership has inspired hope in players over the past two years. 

“Coach Erin improved my game so much,” sophomore player Anbereen Ajina said.“She always allows you to ask questions [because] she wants the best for you. She’s the best kind of coach for the girls team.”

With drills preparing them for the heat and the training honing their skills, the team is entering the season ready to compete.

Having a strong support system is important for them to flourish, and Ajina mentioned how these support systems go beyond just the coach to include the players themselves.

She always allows you to ask questions [because] she wants the best for you. She’s the best kind of coach for the girls team

“For matches we are all nervous, so we all have to hype each other up,” Ajina said. “We have to give each other energy and good vibes [we need to win].”

Senior Sahithi Gade, captain of the varsity girls tennis team, emphasized the importance of sportsmanship and relationships between the players on the team.

“I want all of us to play together more and get closer to each other so we can really be a team,” Gade said. “I think that plays a big role with matches.”

Gade has been playing tennis at Dougherty since her sophomore year. She adapted quickly to the coach’s way of teaching.

“I really like working with my coach. She’s really easy to talk to, she is always there for all the players [and] she treats us all equally,” Gade said. “She’s just a really great coach.”

While the coach and team leadership both play a massive role in contributing to the team’s performance, it is ultimately the players that determine the team’s success throughout the season. The junior varsity and varsity womens tennis teams will face Monte Vista in an away match on Oct. 3.