Death of DV alumnus evokes memories from DV staff

By Nikhila Cherukuthota

Staff Writer
In an unfortunate incident on Dec. 20 2014,  Dougherty Valley High School  2012 graduate Apoorve Agarwal passed away in front of his Berkeley home.

According to several major media outlets, alcohol was said to have been a contributing factor.

However, the official cause of his death was blunt force trauma to the head due to tripping on a staircase.

To commemorate him and his endeavors, we spoke to his former teachers and a close friend.

Ms. Amini, who is Agarwal’s former AP Government and Politics teacher, remembers him as a student “full of promise.” The 20-year-old, who was enroute towards a degree in both economics and applied mathematics, is remembered by Ms. Amini as a diligent and academically-inclined student.

She recalls how “he would never settle for a lower grade if it was possible to improve his work.”

While Ms. Amini describes Agarwal’s personality as a student, Mr. Bowen remembers him as social and “a good dude”.

“I distinctly remember him joking with other students in [his] class. He was well-liked,” Mr. Bowen said.

In his Video Production class, Agarwal’s videos were filled with a jovial mood and humor, Bowen also remembers.

Ananth Cherukupally, another DV alumnus from the class of 2013, describes Agarwal as one of his best friends for about 13 years.

“He was someone who enjoyed every moment he was in and constantly made others laugh with his shrewd humor and incisive sarcasm,” Cherukupally remembered.

Agarwal will be greatly missed by his peers, teachers, family and friends.