Run for Education

On October 12, this year, The Run for Education was held for it’s 31st year. The Run for Education is an event that takes place annually in San Ramon around October. Runners or walkers participate to help fund the school and to enjoy some community time.

The Run for Education, previously known as Primo’s Run for Education, is a big part of the community in San Ramon. It celebrated its 30th anniversary last year. Runners and walkers choose between a half marathon, a five kilometer timed run or a five kilometer fun run and walk. The half marathon is a 13.6 mile run starting on Hartz Avenue and ending on Alcosta Boulevard. Both of the five kilometer races, which are roughly 3 miles, started on Alcosta Boulevard near Iron Horse Middle School, circle around the middle school, and ended back on Alcosta Boulevard.

Schools in the San Ramon Valley District competed to see who can obtain the most students to sign up. A total of 35 schools and 35,029 students from the district participated this year. This year, Dougherty Valley High School had the most students and the highest number of points, than those of all the other schools. In total, 2,646 students participated from our high school. The points are added up by comparing the percentage of participants to the number of students from each school.

During the run, many booths were set up with sponsors who had samples and advertisements for the runners and walkers. Sponsors like Chevron, Primo’s Pizza and Whole Foods had tables at the race. 101.7 KKIQ radio channel broadcasted during the race and local bands of both children and adults performed for the run. Schools also had their bands play during the race for the participants who ran or walked by the race’s many turns.

The Run for Education is a great event in the community and we are lucky to have it near Dougherty Valley. Go support your school in the next Run for Education next year.