Rapper Juice Wrld, 21, dead after experiencing seizures en route to Chicago

Rapper and singer Jarrad Higgins, popularly known as “Juice Wrld,” was pronounced dead on Dec. 8 after suffering from seizures on a private flight to Chicago. 

Flying into Chicago from LA, Juice Wrld was admitted to the hospital. Officials say that he died from cardiac arrest due to uncontrollable seizures he experienced during the flight. 

However, officials are also saying that his death is linked to a possible overdose on drugs, specifically xanax and codeine. This claim is supported by the police finding drugs and arms in his luggage. 

Despite the dark circumstances surrounding his death, his bright career and distinctive style of music has inspired many, and his death has shaken the industry. At age 21, he was regarded as one of the brightest up-and-coming artists in the hip-hop industry, as his rapping style was regarded as unique and different compared to others. 

Juice Wrld’s love of rapping started when he was a high schooler in Homewood Flossmoor High School in Flossmoor, Illinois, where he was known to be caring and loyal. Juice Wrld, or Juice the Kid, as he was previously known, became viral due to his freestyle form of rapping. Soon after, Juice Wrld’s career took off when his hit singles “Lucid Dreams” and “All girls are the same” reached the top charts, peaking at No. 2 on Billboard’s Hot 100 singles chart. His songs resonated with his audience and it became clear that he created a lasting impact everywhere.  

“As a person, he impacted me a lot. To be honest, it was a coping mechanism for me. Juice Wrld helped me through a lot of things, especially when we talk about getting through tough times and not falling into bad habits that could hurt my life, because instead of doing those things, I just listened to his music to cope with my problems,” sophomore Rishabh Dhariwal said. 

Although it is important to recognize Juice Wrld’s impact on the younger generation, it is also important to note that his untimely death provides insight into the music industry’s major problems. 

“I feel like it was unfortunate, but his abuse of drugs represented something larger, which is truly a matter of social concern because high schoolers these days keep on using drugs,” sophomore Sanjay Anasuri said. “I think that many more people might face the same fate as Juice Wrld if they keep on abusing substances.”

His death is another in a long line of rappers dying this year due to substance abuse. Other famous musicians like Lil Peep and Mac Miller also fell this year, both in their twenties. 

According to officials, Juice Wrld’s convulsions and seizures showed drug overdose symptoms, but many are still claiming that this is just a theory. In contrast, police report finding codeine, xanax pills and over 70 pounds of weed in his baggage.

Sophomore Jillian Kramer commented, “I feel like Juice could’ve really changed the industry. His music was very different from others. However, this drug problem in the rap industry is really taking the lives of many young artists.”

Juice Wrld’s impact on his fans is undeniable, as many followers reported that his music was one of the coping methods they used to deal with hard times. However, it can also be said that his abuse of drugs and substances finally caught up to him. This latest death in the industry sends a strong message. 

“I think that Juice Wrld encapsulates this industry perfectly. Loads of talent, but without an outlet to vent, or healthy coping mechanisms, young rappers’ turning to drugs is a big stain on the industry,” Kramer commented.