DV juniors inspire middle schoolers to follow their passion in dance

Junior Sana Bharadwaj, founder and co-instructor of AB Fusion, performing at Dil Se as a part of Dougherty Dhadkan in 2017.

Teju Anand, Assistant Photography Editor

Anyone can be an outstanding and successful teacher as long as they have passion for what they teach. Juniors Sana Bharadwaj and Sakshi Akki have started a business called AB Fusion, named after their last initials, to pass on their dance skills to younger, passionate middle school kids who hope to become incredible dancers one day. The class will be held in Akki’s garage every Friday.

“I know some people had a hard time when they joined these dance companies because the commute would be pretty far. So by doing this, I guess it’s just kind of like in the community, so they could just drop by like for an hour and a half, like each week and just kind of have fun doing what they love,” Akki said.

Bharadwaj and Akki plan to conduct multiple sessions that will each last for two months with a  showcase at the end. After each session, there will be a month-long break. During the summer, the students will have classes three days a week to get more practice. Each session will consist of 10 kids at most.

“The reason we did this is because we wanted to have a smaller group to focus more on. Having too many kids will just be too overwhelming and it wouldn’t make the sessions productive enough,” Bharadwaj said.

Moreover, the kids will be between the of ages of 10 to 14. This age group is perfect because the kids would have time for extracurriculars and would also be determined to learn.

Akki and Bharadwaj have been planning this since last year. The dance will be a fusion of Bollywood and Western dances, like hip hop and jazz, in order to bring more excitement to the dance.

“Making the mix didn’t take too long because we had songs that we wanted to do in mind. We [also] didn’t take too long for the choreography because both of our choreography kind of mesh well together. Some days after school we would go over it to make sure that it’s okay and stuff,” Akki said.

However, publicising the class was a lot of work. By creating a separate email, setting up a form, creating a website to display what they class would be about, sending out flyers, and posting all of their social media accounts in the group “We Indians,” Akki and Bharadwaj were able to inform more people about their class. They hope for AB Fusion to expand and to succeed it their business.

“We want the dancers to feel passionate when they’re dancing because if that’s something that they love to do, then we want to teach them because we’re just as passionate about it since we’ve been doing it for a long time. By starting it as a business, like we would like for this group, people in the group who are interested would be able to take AB Fusion to the next level when we go off to college,” Akki said.