Hit replay on the past: the resurgence of vinyls revolutionize music in the digital age

Vinyls go from being a thing of the past to a music lover must-have. // Mick Haupt

The analog formats of music from the mid-1900s have made a comeback in recent years, sparking a sense of nostalgia and tangible appeal among modern music enthusiasts. 

With music becoming digitized in a hyper-digital world, we all have carefully-curated Spotify playlists that encapsulate our various musical tastes. As the end of the year approaches, everyone giddily shares their Spotify Wrapped, comparing minutes, artists and songs — it’s the full teenage experience, in addition to blasting music through a broken Airpod. The ability to instantly access music has made vinyl records a symbol of the past. 

Despite the cultural shift towards an online world, however, vinyl records have recently recaptured the hearts of many music lovers. In the Year-End Music Industry Revenue Report, it was found that vinyls outsold CDs in 2022. 

The vinyl’s regained popularity is largely due to the difference in the audio itself. In comparison to the hollow sounds of digital music, vinyl records sound warmer and more similar to the original recording. This distinction is accounted for by a difference in sound waves. For digital music, the sound waves are broken down for easy storage, whereas vinyl records provide continuous sound waves. 

Aside from the harmonics of a vinyl record, the retro style provides a tangible artistic depth to listeners’ favorite artists. The vinyl covers reflect a particular artist’s music style or inspiration. For example, Travis Scott’s “Astroworld” vinyl record cover, designed by David LaChapelle, is an amusement park with Scott’s gilded head in the center. Now, imagine this: as your record player fills your room with the perfect blend of hip-hop and lo-fi, you look over and see the vinyl cover propped up on display. The vivid blend of colors adds life to the music, a sight which brings a smile to your face.

The ambient and representative artwork deepens the musical experience by providing a visual metaphor for what the artist tries to accomplish through the lyrics or tunes of their track. For someone who’s a fan of any singer, viewing the vinyl cover is like the perfect bow that ties together the harmonious tunes of the vinyl and the love for the artist. 

Whether it be an act of support or nostalgic desire, buying a vinyl record can make the perfect keepsake. It captures the authenticity and physical connection to the music. But love for vinyl isn’t restricted to just buying them. After all, they can be pretty expensive. The artistic depth of the retro item can be encapsulated just from the screen of your computer, which is the perfect medley of old and new.