DV battles school vaping, promoting a healthier campus

PICRYL
1 juul pod is equivalent to 1 cigarette pack, which negatively impacts youth health through addiction.

In recent years, DVHS has confronted the growing challenge of student vaping as e-cigarettes and vaping devices gain popularity among high school students, sparking concerns about potential health consequences and academic performance. However, the school’s administration and students have proactively taken on the responsibility to foster a healthier environment.

In addressing the escalating concern of student vaping at DVHS, Principal Evan Powell shed light on the proactive measures taken by the school to combat this issue. Powell mentioned that the school employs smoke detectors, a technology in place for several years, to monitor and detect vaping incidents in bathrooms. These detectors send instant notifications to administrators’ phones, facilitating swift responses.

Reflecting on the school’s approach, Powell detailed the recommended actions when students are caught vaping. For first-time offenses, the school advocates a counseling program called ‘Why Vape’ from UC San Diego, coupled with minor disciplinary measures. Powell stressed that repeat offenses may result in suspension, underscoring the gravity of the matter. Notably, consequences are tailored to individual circumstances and the nature of the vape product, showcasing a nuanced and flexible disciplinary approach. 

Repeat offenses may lead to suspension, highlighting the seriousness of the matter.

Powell also emphasized how various factors determine the consequences of a student’s behavior, such as the nature of the vape product, whether “the vape [is] tobacco-based or [if it is] weed-based” or the individual’s circumstances.

Notably, consequences are tailored to individual circumstances and the nature of the vape product, showcasing a nuanced and flexible disciplinary approach.

In addressing the handling of confiscated items, the school’s standard procedure of turning them over to Officer Hamilton ensures appropriate follow-up with law enforcement. Occasionally, items are retained for educational purposes, showcasing them during events like PTSA meetings or for parents, but the primary focus is on letting the police department manage the legal aspects.

The multifaceted strategy also involves educational initiatives, with DVHS’s Tobacco Use Prevention Education (TUPE) club playing a vital role. The club, led by President Niharika Nambiar, aims to inform freshmen about the dangers of tobacco, striving to prevent them from succumbing to vaping temptations.

Nambiar expressed empathy for those who fall prey to vaping, attributing it to peer pressure and the allure of tobacco substances. The TUPE club seeks to break the cycle by educating students and fostering a supportive environment that discourages vaping.

Nambiar shared her motivation for joining the club, stating, “I wanted to help people realize how to stop falling into [the trap of vaping].” 

She expressed sympathy for students who fall victim to vaping, acknowledging the challenges posed by addictive substances and societal pressures. Her compassionate stance reflects an understanding that addiction is complex, emphasizing the importance of empathy and education in addressing the issue.

In this ongoing battle against student vaping, DVHS administrators and students are united in their commitment to creating a healthier school environment, leveraging vigilance, counseling, discipline, and education to address the complex challenges posed by this prevalent issue.