Gym bro culture can positively influence the youth in more ways than one

Jonathan Kim hits a grueling set at his community 24Hour Fitness.

It has only been three years since I was suffering from being overweight. I lacked self-confidence in my appearance to the point where it was difficult for me to even take off my shirt in public. When I was introduced to the gym by my brother, I developed a dedication to its culture and it solved the majority of my insecurities. There are many others who are in the same situation as I was, and just like me, their problems can also be fixed through involvement in gym bro culture.

According to the National Institutes of Health, more than 1 in 3 men are overweight and 1 in 4 women are overweight. If our country continues on this unhealthy track, who knows what serious consequences the future could hold? This makes it even more imperative that we stop the spread of unhealthy lifestyles.

Gym bro culture encourages positive change in the lifestyle of the youth, such as consistently going to the gym and eating healthier, all of which not only can lead to better physical health but mental health as well. According to the US Department of Health and Human Services, “Engaging in regular physical activity has also been shown to reduce the risk of developing depression in children.” 

Many people know of gym bro culture from its spread through social media. Popular fitness influencers who spread their “ideal physique” provide a goal for gym bros to strive for. It can act as motivation that drives us to achieve our goals.

However, the spread of these physiques on social media frequently gets criticized as they spread a “false image”, which discourages a lot of people. A statement such as this is completely based on perspective. If you view the physique as something that you have to achieve perfectly, of course you are going to become discouraged. Everyone’s body is built differently, and not everyone’s physique is going to be the same. However, the idea of pushing yourself to achieve such a goal is where the magic happens. When I was a “gym newbie”, I would always see fitness influencers post on social media and they would inspire me to put in more effort each time I saw them. Throughout this process, I was able to see actual progress, which would always make me feel a sense of accomplishment. Not only did they inspire my fitness journey but their healthy lifestyles also rubbed off on me, allowing me to improve my standard of living.

Throughout their progression, gym bros get to see progress in their physical appearance. Whether their goal was to lean down or gain muscle mass, this change will build up their self-confidence. After two years of working out, I looked back at myself and saw a completely different person. Seeing the improvement made me realize just how far I had come; it made me think “Wow, I accomplished this. This was a result of my hard work.” 

Seeing the improvement made me realize just how far I had come; it made me think “Wow, I accomplished this. This was a result of my hard work.” 

— Timothy Zhang

Consistency is often a problem with beginning gym-goers. For most people, there always seems to be an initial “spark”; it can be a moment or outside influence that ignites their fitness journey. However, what is commonly seen is that people begin to fall off after a period of time because they can’t keep up with a consistent routine. 

This is where “gym bro culture” shines. The most important aspect of this “culture” is consistency and determination, and those who have been a part of it for a while are able to pass on the same level of determination which makes it so important. When I had just begun my journey in the gym I was also weak-footed. I wasn’t really sure if this was something that I could remain dedicated to and I honestly didn’t go to the gym that frequently either. However, as I went more frequently I began to build connections with “gym veterans” who already had a strong sense of this “culture” and they were able to continuously encourage me even when I wasn’t feeling motivated. Oftentimes this doesn’t even have to be through in-person contact, many fitness influencers spread their passion to their viewers through their online content. 

Despite all of the benefits of gym bro culture, mainstream media often misrepresents gym bro culture to make it seem misogynistic. But what exactly is misogyny? Misogyny is active prejudice against women and this is just not what gym bro culture is. How can the act of motivating and elevating fellow peers be misogyny? On top of that, the term “gym bros” includes both boys and girls; it’s a multi-gender culture.

Whenever I hear parents complain that their kids “have better things to focus on than going to the gym” or say that “my kid could be doing homework instead”, these statements are not only narrow-minded but also counterintuitive. Instead of carrying this negative mindset, view the gym as a place where the youth can develop close connections with their peers as the act of working out is one that is cooperative and social. Additionally, the time spent at the gym getting a sufficient amount of daily exercise can actually work in one’s favor in terms of work productivity. For me, when I go to the gym before I do my work, I find that my attention span and focus are much better compared to when I try doing work without going to the gym.

Gym bro culture is something that has greatly benefited me throughout my journey and it can improve the lives of many others. Those who are struggling with self-confidence about their physical appearance or just want to improve their lifestyle should consider gym bro culture as a solution to their issues.